Friday 11 March 2011

Facebook


I've decided to give up Facebook for Lent. For some people this might seem like an easy thing to do but Facebook is something I really enjoy and would check out everyday to keep in touch with friends and share some banter. Sometimes when things happen in life I imagine how I'll word it for my status update to let friends and family know e.g. freezing showers are not fun or about to make a delicious chocolate fudge cake (both of which happened yesterday!)

So although I perhaps don't feel a huge strain as I would if I were missing chocolate, etc I do miss it and do feel a sense of sacrifice. I guess for me that is the whole point of the self denial. In the meantime I hope to use the time I would be on Facebook to write letters of encouragement to friends. Last night I wrote 3 and from it I feel God has reinforced His message to me to hold in there and take each achievement or breakthrough, whatever size, and use it to build upon, for Christ's Kingdom.

'Blessed are those whose strength is in you, who have set their hearts on pilgrimage.
As they pass through the Valley of Baca, they make it a place of springs; the autumn rains also cover it with pools.
They go from strength to strength, till each appears before God in Zion.'
Psalm 84 v 5-7

Here's to pushing out all that distracts us from the close communion with God that enriches our body, mind and soul :)

'Lord, I give you my heart
I give you my soul,
I live for you alone.
Every breath I take
Every moment I'm awake
Have your way in me.'

Darlene Zschech

No comments:

Post a Comment